Thursday, January 7, 2010

You have a problem with my date?

I have become disgusted by the public's disgust. Having children and a frequently absent spouse means you now have conversations with little people. I wish the public would accept this and move on instead of giving me strange looks marked with pity, shock, and self-rightousness.
Today my husband took my healthy one-year old on a daytrip to visit relatives, leaving the sick (me and my 2 year old son) to recouperate at home. So we took the opportunity to reconnect while going grocery shopping. I spent a good deal of it chatting with my son, who for the most part doesn't really talk back. When I couldn't find the aisle with honey in it, I asked if he knew where it was. When I forgot that ingredient I wanted to add to my turkey cutlets, I inquired if he remembered. When the prices were ridiculous, I scoffed and remarked about it to him. Now, this is fairly normal behavior for me, but under normal circumstances, my attention is divided between two small children. Today, with only one to look after, I spent a little time noticing the others around me. They frequently shot me looks of disapproval, as if I was some psychopath who forgot to take my meds before going grocery shopping. Some of them had those tacky little wireless bluetooths sticking out of their ears, so I don't know where they get the nerve to judge me.
I had a chat with my son about them when we moved to the next aisle.
This is the Angry Housemom.

No comments:

Post a Comment