Monday, January 4, 2010

Life through the drive-through

Last night's 11:30pm run to the pharmacy for Children's Motrin has done the following: 1) made me super tired, and 2) emptied my already empty gas tank. (yes there is a pharmacy open that late on Sunday - I only have to drive 20 minutes out of the way to get to it while my friend grudgingly watched my children, one of who is running a 104 fever. The good news is I discovered they have a drive through. More on that later...)
Which brings me to this morning:
9:15am - Kids are hungry for breakfast. I kinda want coffee. Dunkin Doughnuts Drive-through it is. As I order a doughnut for the kiddos, my son drowns out my voice by screaming "NO CHOCLAT D'NUT. WHITE D'NUT!" Tears actually stream down my 2 year old's face. My daughter (18 mths) is terrified by the outburst and starts screaming, drowning out the little electronic speaker. I decide whatever they give me will have to do.
10:30am - Doc says kiddo #1 has pink eye and an ear infection and dehydration from diaherrea. kiddo #2 has pink eye and a virus. Both need antibiotics.
11:00am - kids are hungry for lunch. Stop at Burger King Drive-through for french fries. I ignore the fact that the 1000 calories in the whopper jr. with mayo is not going to help me lose the pregnancy weight that I haven't begun to lose yet.
11:30am - Walgreens thankfully has a drivethrough. But prescription isn't ready. Come back in 10 minutes.
11:35am - Gas. Pay the full price to have someone pump for me. The temperature with the windchill is 4. That's too cold to hold anything metallic without gloves (i can't confirm but I think the kids threw one of them out on me.) I keep handing french fries to the backseat while little hands take them from me.
11:45am - Back to Walgreens to pick up prescription, though the drive-through of course.
12:30pm - Dairy barn for OJ. (hooray for drive-through grocery stores!!)
1pm - collapse on my couch at home. I'm utterly exhausted, and I've only been pushing the up and down window button on my van. Imagine if I had to leave the vehicle once in a while!

Whoever invented drive-through probably was a parent of a toddler or two at one point. Getting in and out of a vehicle - especially in snowy, ice, and frigid conditions (see current weather report) is SO HARD! There's crying and throwing and scratching and biting. Sometimes there's an escape followed by a small parental heart attack. All of the time there's the manipulation of the 40lb double stroller that is responsible for quite a few injuries all around. Yes, drive through is the way to go.
Now if they can only bring back house-call doctors, then the life of the mother would significantly improve.
This is the Angry Housemom.

No comments:

Post a Comment