Monday, January 18, 2010

Spongebob is the new Football

Its 5 minutes to kickoff. Family and friends have filtered into our small house, said hello, and have migrated to the couch. Everyone is anxiously awaiting the game. Its a big one. It will determine whether or not there will be anymore quasi-parties thrown in our home this football season.
Chips and Dip: Prepared and put out
Beer and Wine: Available along with non-alcoholic refreshments
Stimulating Conversation: Depends who you sit next to on the couch. If you are near me, for instance, you will most likely get a lot of "mmm hmm, ok, yeah, that's what I thi......HEY!!! GET YOUR TOY CARS OUT OF THE @^$&$ DIP!!!!!"
That's the problem with hosting parties before 7pm. The two toddlers think get-togethers are just an opportunity for an audience while they destroy-destroy-destory.
I'm slightly ashamed at my voice level. I scream and scream like a dysfunctional mother on SuperNanny, the kind that ellicits those looks of disgust from the Nanny and America. But here's what I believe. Its happening all over. We are not alone, fellow last-straw, blow-our-top Moms! When the toddler pulls down the curtain rod because he wants to fly like Diego, or when the other toddler crawls under your computer desk and hits the power strip before you save your latest mommy-blog post, I know you aren't all sugary-sweet Brady-Bunch mamas!
But knowing I'm not alone in my screaming does not make me feel better about doing it in public. And in an attempt to stop my home from being ripped to shreds (toys have begun to be thrown in the air) I do the unthinkable.
"Lets watch a little SpongeBob."
In a one tv household, guests should just expect this. But the looks of horror from my football fanatic friends shake me a bit.
"Don't worry, the game is being dvr'ed. It'll just be for a few minutes while everyone calms down."
They resign themselves. And perhaps everyone is too depressed to move, or maybe everyone likes their placement on the couch, but the living room remains full of adults.
They came for football, they got Sponge Bob Square Pants.
"Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS......"

This is the Angry Housemom

No comments:

Post a Comment