Thursday, February 11, 2010

Playing inside on a snowy afternoon

Thousands of dollars worth of toddler toys remain dusty and unused, piled into the corner. I take them out every once in a while, replace batteries, reorganize them, putting missing pieces into the proper containers. I feign childlike excitement as I play with them in front of the kids, so that they can understand how absolutely thrilling it is to press a button and hear the alphabet, sung by a robotic voice. I'll make the choo-choo go around the track and when I get all the way around, I let out a little squeal to indicate to them how wonderful it all is.
Usually the kids don't get to see much of my antics because they are too busy playing trampoline with my couch or chasing each other in lightning fast figure eights around the living room.
I haven't decided that they are necessarily wrong in their play. It does seem more fun to play chase or see if it is indeed possible to touch the ceiling if you jump just a little bit higher. And the alphabet song only has limited appeal.

-Angryhousemom.

1 comment:

  1. I dont have many toys for that very reason, my little boy gets MILES more fun out of hiding under my duvet with a torch, whacking a balloon around the house for hours on end or piling up the sofa cushions and leaping on them...all FREE! lol

    ReplyDelete